Archives

You are currently viewing archive for January 2006

Jan 16, 2006: Mid-Winter Update

Category: General
Posted by: Derek
Well, its mid January, the DeLorean has been off the road for about two and a half months now. I am hoping to have it back on the road by April, so that would make this the half way point of winter storage. Here is an update of my winter list, some have been completed, and a few more have been added:

(1) Replace plastic coolant bottle and brackets with stainless

(2) Remove and refurbish dash binnacle : cleaned and replaced bulbs with LEDs.

(3) Update clutch system : need to do this when it warms up as it will be a longer job. Clutch master cylinder is definitely leaking a bit, needs to be done before excessive driving in the spring.

(4) Distributor cap, rotor, and wires : finished before its winter nap.

(5) Stereo install : front speakers are installed, head unit is sitting here waiting to be installed.

(6) Alternator : would like to upgrade to help power the new stereo system and cut sudden power draws from the cooling fans.

(7) Pivot bolt replacement : have this on hand also, waiting till it gets warmer.

(8) Misc. cleanup : recovered the steering wheel pad, looks good as new.

(9) Replaced tail light board : drivers side board needed to be upgraded. Now both are Grady boards. Working well.

(10) Oil pressure light sender : have the part, need to install to fix the oil leak

(11) Alarm / remote door unlock system : would like to get this to protect the car as well as modernize it with a remote door lock/unlock feature. Going to be ordered soon.

(12) Repaint louvers : possibly.
Category: Interior
Posted by: Derek
Thanks to DeCobra for describing how to go about doing this in this thread.

As mentioned in the above thread, I picked up a nice piece of vinyl from JoAnn Fabrics (not sure how nationwide they are) but I am sure any arts & crafts store would sell the same stuff. The sell two types, one with a thick rubber backing and one with a fabric backing. Your going to need the fabric backing one as it can be removed so the vinyl is as thin as possible. In total of the roll I think the lady at the store cut 10 inches of a 1 yard roll, so I had a lot of excess in case I screwed up, and it only cost $1.17. Your also going to need some sort of spray adhesive, make sure you get one that lists permanent hold as needing 1 minute or more to dry before adhering. Cost at WalMart was $2.28

Take the vinyl and peel off the fabric. This is going to leave a bit of fuzz. Try to remove as much as you can. Spray a coat of glue on the entire front surface of the pad. Let it sit for a minute, then place the vinyl over it. Stretch it as much as you can onto and around the rim of the pad. I cannot stress how much this stuff can be stretched, so keep pulling it until the entire front has the OEM look. I then flipped it over and sprayed lightly around the back rim, waited, and then finished stretching the vinyl around. I then took another tip from the thread listed above from Patrick C, and used a stapler to finish securing the vinyl in place. Trimmed it with scissors and let it sit overnight.

Honestly, I didn't think it would come out this good, but it looks great. In the DeLorean you could not be able to tell it's not a replaced NOS part. See pics of the pre pad and the finished pad below: