Archives

You are currently viewing archive for October 2005

Oct 25, 2005: Planned winter jobs

Category: General
Posted by: Derek
Haven't had any updates recently as I have been busy selling my old car and obtaining a winter junker. However, I do have a list of things I would like to do over the winter months. Here is the list...

- Replace plastic coolant bottle and brackets with stainless : this is one of the ugliest parts of the engine bay, as the bottle is yellowing and the brackets are completely rusted.

- Remove and refurbish dash binnacle : there is some dirt at the bottom of the binnacle lens, the black frame around it is coming loose and needs to be reglued, and a left turn signal flashing light is out. Will probably replace all light bulbs with new ones as I do not want to have to open it again any time soon.

- Update clutch system : would like to put a new clutch master and slave cylinder, along with the stainless braided line. The clutch has a bit of trouble when it is warm slipping into 2nd gear, hope this will fix it.

- Distributor cap, rotor, and wires : still haven't gotten around to this job yet, but I have all the parts ready to go.

- Stereo install : already have the front speakers done, but still need to replace the back speakers, as well as a new head unit, and run new speaker wires.

- Alternator : would very much like to get around to upgrading the alternator to a D110.

- Pivot bolt replacement : have the part, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

- Repaint louvers: possibly. Ended up polishing them up with compound which removed some of the old and discolored texture on the louvers.

- Misc. cleanup : including a new steering wheel center pad, and other touchup jobs.

- Wishful thinking : if the money is around, new springs and shocks.
Category: Mechanical
Posted by: Derek
Finished the parking brake job today. It was very easy, just had to remove the two bolts holding the arms with the pads in, and unbolt the parking brake cable. The whole unit slides out. Very nice setup on the DeLorean. Replaced the pads, and popped it back in. With a new parking brake retaining fork, the pads were held in place correctly. After reassembly I realized I did not tighten the adjusting screw enough, as the brake slipped when engaged on an incline. Will need to make that small adjustment soon.

Today I also decided to replace the tie rod ends, as the rubber in my drivers side was completely ripped up, and the passenger side had a hole starting. This was hard to get them off of the wheel assembly, then off of the steering arm. Had to use a pickling fork to beat them off of the wheel, and then lots of lubricant to free it from the steering arm, with help in holding the rod from spinning. Once off the locking bolt needed to be adjusted, as the new tie rods were an eight of an inch longer. When both were replaced I took the car out for a drive, and the alignment does not seem to be affected. Will need it to be professionally adjusted soon, or after the DeLorean emerges from winter storage.