Window Felt Replacement
Been busy lately and haven’t had much time to work on the car. Have a feeling that a lot will be getting done in the next few months, though.
First up, something that has been on hold for a while. I have been waiting on replacing my window felt with the Ford Probe crossover part as detailed in the tech article on DMC News. According to the writeup, the crossover part is a ‘Window Belt’ (Ford language) from a ’89-92 Ford Probe. Problem is, Ford stopped making these parts quite a long time ago. So, I called up local junk yards. No luck. Decided then to hop online and find a Probe forum with members parting out their car. Ended up at the Performance Probe boards and found a member with the piece I needed. All in all it ended up costing me $25 shipped for the two sides. Not too bad.
Now I decided to go this route for one key reason. The existing felt was falling apart and I tried the ‘normal’ method of using the soft side of velcro. Problem is in Florida 95 degree heat with 90 percent humidity, the glue doesn’t hold. So, I tried again with stronger glue. Still didn’t hold. Got tired of redoing it and just thought I would go with a part that wouldn’t need glue.
These Probe pieces as seen in the photo above are much beefier than the OEM part. And, rather than felt glued to the rubber, this short pile felt seems to be merged with the rubber as one piece. No glue to fall apart now. The reason this part was chosen by the person that originally wrote the DMC News article is due to its top lip and double wiper which help it sit correctly on the DeLorean black brace which the original part was attached, and the second lip allows you to place a screw through the hole and it guards the window from being scratched.
The felt first needs to be cut to fit. I cut mine a tad bit shorter than the OEM part, as since it is thicker it cannot squeeze as easily into the window opening once the frame is bolted to the door. After cutting, bend up on the stock parts tabs and using a dremel cut them off so you just have the openings as seen below.
Now you need some small machine screws, 14 to be exact, in 6/32″ by 3/8″ size. You also need the corresponding nuts, and 1/2″ washers. Place the screw in the lip and attach the washer and nut to the back side. What you want to do is get the felt and the washer to pinch together on the existing bracket, and allow the L top lip to hold it all in place.
When it is all done just screw it back into the door and test out your window. I am very happy with the results, it even looks better (the little bit that you can see if you peer in). Here is a picture from the top looking down at the window with the inner door panel off. The pressure it holds against the window does not affect the speed at which it rolls up or down compared to the stock part.