Master clutch cylinder & stainless line replacement

By admin No comments

To start with, for the life of me I could not find the bleed screw or the slave by simply looking behind the engine. I knew I saw it before. Couldn’t find it now. After 30 minutes of searching, grabbing, feeling, etc, I decided to take apart the air intake system so I could shift it forward an inch and get the fuel lines out of the way to see behind it.

Right away, the bolt holding in the throttle plate cover started sticking. I could tell the threads were crossing. I was upset, as I didn’t want to have to cut off the head and drill out the bolt. 45 minutes of worrying, and 30 minutes of grabbing it with vice grips and eating away at its head, it was out. The threads had crossed right at the end of the bolt.

Finished unbolting the air intake setup, moved it an inch forward, found the nipple, and went shopping to grab some tube, and a new (and bit shorter) bolt to replace the one that holds the throttle cover in.

Bled the system with no problem, got almost all the fluid out. Getting access to the master cylinder through the access panel was a pain as one of the screws was seized. Pulled out the dremel and off with its head. Replacing the master cylinder was no big deal, and running the new line was just more time consuming than anything. Got it right in the place of the old line.

Now, before I hooked it up to the joint before the metal piece that goes to the slave, per some suggestions I heard it was better to bleed it to this point in order to cause less of a chance of air. I did that, and assumed that after I started to see fluid that if I didn’t pump any more it would stop. I was wrong. I had fluid pouring out continually, and ended up covering my arms and part of the transmission. Of course, the connection doesn’t seal until the very last twist, so I made a huge mess.

Half hour of cleanup work later, and its now time to attack the slave cylinder. I had no idea how I am supposed to get access to this thing. I could feel the bolts holding it in from under the car, as well as get my arms and a swivel socket up in the loosen them up. Was able to get both bolts spinning slightly. Wanted to unhook the hard line before I went any further.

Spent 20 minutes trying to get the nut holding the hard line into the slave to turn. No luck. It must be frozen solid on there. Decided at that point I had fixed my two main concerns, the leaky master, and the flexing old plastic hose. Put everything back together, and pumped new fluid through the old slave. Disconnected and tightened the bleed screw.

Done for now.